DA Camps Hanes

Last Thursday,  Durham Academy 6th grade and I drove to a YMCA camp called Camp Hanes. When we got to school there was a lot of commotion. I packed way too many things in my bag and it was very heavy. I put my stuff under the bus. I got on the bus. This was no ordinary bus, it was a fancy charter bus that had a long list of fancy amenities that would be too long to explain. I sat with a kid named Chris. This was no ordinary kid, he was a nice kid. He happily shared his candy with me. When we got there the intro was really fun and we got to explore our cabins. My cabin had a big bathroom and bunk beds. I got the top bunk. Soon we went to lunch and started our adventure.  

Of all the activities my favorite activity was archery. This was really fun because. We got to shoot almost really bow and arrows. The targets were about 20 to 30 feet away. Everybody got two turns and 5 arrows each turn. First we had a safety demonstration. Holding the bow was difficult at first but you get used to it. The teacher was very nice. On my first turn I got two arrows on the target, one of them was a bull’s eye. On my second turn I did really well and got all the arrows on the target. After this activity we had dinner then we went to sleep for the next day of Camp Hanes!  

The best part about Camp Hanes was being there with all my friends, and making new friends. I became better friends with a lot of the kids in my cabin. We did fun activities together like playing cards and having s’mores. We also did activities that you can’t do at school or home. I would like to thank all the 6th grade faculty at DA to make this happen and Camp Hanes for making it fun. This is definitely my favorite field trip so far. 

One thought on “DA Camps Hanes